The Southern Baptists of Texas Convention and the larger Southern Baptist family have responded quickly and steadily to the recent tragedy at First Baptist Church Sutherland Springs. We have been at work providing grief counseling, site clean-up, organization of a community prayer vigil, one years' salary for Pastor Pomeroy, administrative assistance, funding and man-power for various needs and much more. In the weeks, months and years ahead, we will continue to engage the pastors, churches and community members of the Sutherland Springs area with our physical presence, prayerful support, administrative counsel and financial assistance.
Allow us to say a special "thank you" to all SBTC churches participating in the Cooperative Program. This ministry is your ministry. You have made and are making all of this possible. We are one body. One family. The Southern Baptist response to this event — the worst church shooting in United States history — has once again proven the value of our commitment to one another. When unimaginable evil shakes our world, there is a sure hope in Jesus Christ and an untold strength in biblical cooperation.
Specific Prayer Requests Now:
- Pray for the victim's families. Pray that as the weeks and months progress, God will renew their strength in Christ and grant them the peace and comfort of the Holy Spirit.
- Pray for local pastors as they lead their flocks and their communities. Ask that the Lord give words of wisdom when appropriate, and ears/hearts of compassion when needed.
- Pray specifically for Pastor Frank Pomeroy, his wife Sherri, and their family as they work through the long process of rebuilding First Baptist Church and a new facility in which to worship.
- Pray for doors of gospel opportunity to open in the wake of this tragedy.
- Pray for the survivors, the first responders and the many community volunteers who, for the rest of their lives, will have to emotionally and spiritually work through what they have seen.
- Pray for First Baptist Church's pastor, Frank Pomeroy, and the Restoration Team selected by the church to lead to a new future. Ask God for wisdom, discernment and the leadership and anointing of the Holy Spirit as they move forward.
- Church Security Assessment >>
- Video: Church Security Overview (50 mins) >>
- Video: How to start church security ministry (44 mins) >>
The SBTC is hosting Church Security Conferences in five (5) regions of Texas. These conferences will cover church security protocol and planning. Each conference will be from 10 AM to 4 PM with lunch provided. Locations and dates are yet to be announced. Registration is coming soon!