What should we do?
The devastation of this contagious disease is affecting millions throughout the world. In light of this scary situation several vital questions arise:
What should we do to protect ourselves physically?
- Social distancing – Stay at home; don’t go to places where there are a lot of people. If it is absolutely necessary to go to the supermarket, go as early as possible when there are not a lot of people there. Stay away from our families if we have symptoms and think we have been exposed.
- Physical protection – Wear masks to cover your mouth and nose (even a piece of cloth can help if a mask is not available); wash your hands frequently; don’t touch your face; disinfect door knobs and other things that you touch.
- Home delivery – Look for a way to have orders of food, medicine and other things delivered to your house.
- Medical attention – Contact your doctor if you have a fever, a dry cough and have difficulty breathing. Ask to be tested to know if you have been infected by the virus. Look for a hospital or clinic that has medical ventilators.
What should your emotional attitude be?
- Take the situation seriously – This is a pandemic that can cause the death of millions of people. It is very important that we pay attention to the measures that the doctors and governmental agencies establish.
- Avoid panic – Even though this is a scary situation, it is very important that we calmly take the necessary measures to protect ourselves and our families.
What should we take into account spiritually?
- Recognize that life is uncertain – The Word of God says: “Yet you do not even know what your life tomorrow will be like” (James 4:14). How incredible that a microbe can spread throughout the whole world and take the lives of millions of people. Life is really uncertain.
- Prepare spiritually – We can prepare for life beyond this life. The Word of God teaches us that our Lord Jesus Christ came to this world, lived a perfect life, served humanity, taught divine truths, died on the cross for our sins, arose from the dead and returned to heaven where he is pleading to God for us. Jesus explained the purpose of his coming when he said: “God loved the world so much that He gave His only son so that everyone who believes in Him may not die but have eternal life” (John 3:16).
- Get near to God – We can ask God to forgive us of our sins and invite his son Jesus Christ to come into our hearts to guide our lives and prepare us to go to heaven with him when our lives on this earth end. Jesus Christ said: “Whoever hears my words and believes in Him who sent Me, has eternal life. He will not be judged, but has already passed from death to life” (John 5:24). If we put our faith in Jesus Christ as our Savior we can be sure that we are going to be with him when we breathe our last breath in this life. Have you made that decision to receive Christ? If not, do it today and you will have peace in your heart.
- Trust in his promises – We have the promise of God that he will be with us. As we face the devastation that the coronavirus is causing worldwide, it is quite normal to experience fear and loneliness. It is during these times that we can allow the peace and the love of God to fill our hearts. Before returning to heaven Jesus said to his followers: “I will be with you always, to the end of the age” (Matthew 28:20). He also said to his disciples: “Do not be worried and upset, believe in God and believe also in me” (John 14:1).
We are going through days of great suffering and insecurity. It is normal to be worried. However, if we have put our faith in Jesus Christ as our Savior, we can feel his divine presence in our hearts and be completely sure that he will guide us in this life and in the life to come.
With the help of God, we can take the CORONA (“Crown”) out of the coronavirus.
The Word of God says: “Be faithful unto death and I will give you the crown of life” (Revelation 2:10).
If you would like for someone to pray to God for you or if you want more information, get in touch with the person who shared this with you.